Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Apr 20 03:20:11 UTC 2010

In message <4BCD14EF.8090204 at zill.net>, Patrick Giagnocavo writes:
> Mark Andrews wrote:
> >> I haven't seen any such documents or regulations.
> >
> > People purchaced the service on the understanding that they would
> > get a Internet address.  A address behind a NAT is not a Internet
> > address, it's a *shared* Internet address which is a very different
> > thing.
>
> Given that many ISPs put their sign-up documents, including contracts,
> on-line, you can no doubt supply a link to such a document that has
> legal terms that would preclude NATed service, yes?
>
> My recollection is only that I would be provided with "Internet service"
> or "access to the Internet" .  No mention of RFC1918 space or other
> distinguishing information was given.
>
> Note in the below blurb no mention of publicly routable addresses...

It doesn't have to as the normal definition of a Internet address
is a publically routable internet address.  A address behind a NAT
is not a Internet address (Big I Internet).

If you supply something less than a full blown Internet access you
need to point out the restriction otherwise I would expect you to
be subject to "Bait and Switch" and other consumer protection laws.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org