Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Apr 19 14:22:58 UTC 2010

On Apr 19, 2010, at 7:14 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>> I had an interesting discussion with someone from Registration Services at ARIN today.
>>
>> The big requests for IP space (the 11 organizations that hold 75% of all ARIN issued
>> space) do not come from the server side... They come from the eye-ball ISPs.  The only
>> /8 issued by ARIN to an ISP, for example, was issued to a cable ISP.
>>
>> With this in mind, I don't think there's much to be gained here.  Optimizing the utilization
>> of less than 25% of the address space in the face of the consumption rate on the 75%
>> side simply cannot yield a meaningful result. It really is akin to rearranging the deck
>> chairs on the Titanic.
>
> The eyeball ISPs will find it trivial to NAT should they ever need to do
> so however, something servers cannot do - you are looking at numbers,
> not operational considerations.
>
> --Patrick

I'm looking at both, and, frankly, LSN (large scale NAT) is not as trivial as you
think. I actually talk to and work with some of these very large providers on
a regular basis. None of them is looking forward to deploying LSN with anything
but dread. The support issues, user experience, CALEA problems, and other
issues with LSN are huge.  None of them that I am aware of are considering
using lSN to free up addresses to hand over to hosting providers.

Owen