Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Apr 19 03:00:18 UTC 2010

joel jaeggli wrote:
> On 4/18/2010 6:28 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

>> Reality is that as soon as SSL web servers and SSL-capable web browsers
>> have support for name-based virtual hosts, the number of IPv4 addresses
>> required will drop.  Right now, you need 1 IP address for 1 SSL site;
>> SNI spec of SSL gets rid of that.
>
> my load balancer needs 16 ips for every million simultaneous
> connections, so does yours.

That is an accurate statement but sort of a side issue.

I would hazard a guess that ~95% of publicly reachable (i.e.
non-SSL-VPN) SSL certificate using servers would never see that amount
of traffic.

I am talking about the 5 or 10 IPv4 IPs you get with a $99/month
dedicated server, so that you can setup 5 or 10 different clients with a
shopping cart - Amazon and other large e-tailers have the ability to
buy/work around any shortage or bottleneck.

Cordially

--Patrick