Tracking down reverse for ip

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Apr 16 15:54:18 UTC 2010

On Thursday 15 April 2010 04:59:19 pm William Pitcock wrote:
> For someone who is a CCNA, Mikrotik Certified Whatever, etc, etc, etc,
> you really should know how to use dig(1).

Which IOS or RouterOS has that command?

Now, if the list included RHCE....

As James said, certifications are pretty narrowly targeted instruments; knowing
how to set up the cisco IOS featureset of the day or deal with all the things
you need to get those certs does not in any way touch real-world DNS issues.

At least if I were hiring someone, and they give me a list of certifications
like the above, I wouldn't assume any knowledge past what the training
materials of the week have in them; any other knowledge would be gravy.

You might be surprised how many network professionals have never had need to
use whois or dig, and may not even know they exist, but be a whiz at MPLS,
IPv6, QoS, etc things.