Router for Metro Ethernet

Jeffrey Negro jnegro at billtrust.com
Mon Apr 12 17:28:45 UTC 2010

Before I get taken for a ride by salespeople, I figured it would be best to
ask the experts of Nanog....

My company is currently in talks to bring an ethernet circuit into our
headquarters, initially committing around 40Mbps.  The ISP will be providing
ethernet handoff, but I do not want their managed router offering (Adtran
4430) since it is pricey, non-redundant and I'd rather manage it myself.  My
question is about hardware.  Can I assume that I can use something like a
Cisco 2000 series router with two built in fast/gig ethernet ports, without
a WIC?  and since both sides are ethernet would the routing throughput be
near fast ethernet speed?  This is my first dealing with metro ethernet
offerings, and I don't want to assume that the Cisco throughput rates listed
for T1/ADSL etc. are the same for a metro ethernet as the WAN.

Any and all suggestions on the hardware would be greatly appreciated.  Thank
you in advance!