Carrier class email security recommendation

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 15:47:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:45 PM, todd glassey <tglassey at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 4/12/2010 7:22 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>> The man did say "carrier class" .. not "small webhost for four
>> families and dog".
>
> yes he did Suresh ... meaning that something larger and more secure than
> the off-the-shelf copy of Linux is needed. Funny the NSA and many others
> would disagree with you.

I know of (and have been the postmaster for) multiple million user
installations that run happily on linux + postfix (and sendmail,
qmail..).

None that run on one server running webmin, even a 3U server.

> or layered as stages within a new system design based on GPU's which
> allow for the specific assignment of threads of control to specific
> processes. Imaging a cloud type environment running in a single GPU with
> the abililty to properly map threads to GPU threads.

You don't have "single" of anything at all for large and well scaled
environments.

> OK our server is 3U but that was because I wanted bigger fans inside
> it... The 1U single TESLA based email GW is exactly what you describe -
> a 512 thread CUDA based GPU with serious capabilities therein.

So how many users do you run on that one 3U box?  100K?  300K?  A
couple of million?  :)

The man said carrier class.  And when you talk that you dont just talk
features, you talk operations on a rather larger scale than what
you're describing.

--srs

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists at gmail.com)