Solar Flux (was: Re: China prefix hijack)

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Apr 11 14:07:15 UTC 2010

Paul Vixie <vixie at isc.org> writes:

> i'm more inclined to blame the heavy solar wind this month and to assume
> that chinanet's routers don't use ECC on the RAM containing their RIBs and
> that chinanet's router jockeys are in quite a sweat about this bad publicity.
> --
> Paul Vixie
> KI6YSY

That is likely to be an increasing problem in upcoming months/years.
Solar cycle 24 started in August '09; we're ramping up on the way out
of a more serious than usual sunspot minimum.

We've seen great increases in CPU and memory speeds as well as disk
densities since the last maximum (March 2000).  Speccing ECC memory is
a reasonable start, but this sort of thing has been a problem in the
past (anyone remember the Sun UltraSPARC CPUs that had problems last
time around?) and will no doubt bite us again.

Rob Seastrom, AI4UC