32 bits ASN on Cisco

Gary T. Giesen giesen at snickers.org
Sun Apr 11 06:36:01 UTC 2010

You can still request a 16 bit ASN from the registries, so if this is
a concern for a new deployment you're not out of luck (yet). There is
a compatibility mechanism, so you can still receive routes sourced
from (or passing through) 32 bit ASNs, they will simply appear as AS
23456. Even if you have 32-bit ASN-compatible gear, all your direct
peers need to support it as well (more or less), and many providers
still don't have support for this yet (for example, the 7600 platform
only just got support with 12.2(33) SRE0, and no one in their right
mind is running it in production yet).

A great resource for information on 32-bit ASN's is
http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog45/presentations/Tuesday/Hankins_4byteASN_N45.pdf

GG