ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Apr 10 04:00:32 UTC 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 10:34 AM, David Conrad wrote:

> Owen,
>
> On Apr 9, 2010, at 7:07 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> No, ARIN is not a regulator.  Regulators have guns or access to people with
>> guns to enforce the regulations that they enact. ARIN has no such power.
>
> I'm a little confused on the distinction you're making.  Today, ARIN can remove whois data/reverse delegations as a way of enforcing 'regulations'.  In the future, assuming RPKI is deployed, ARIN could, in theory, revoke the certification of a resource.  While not a gun, these are means of coercion.  Are you being literal when you say "gun" or figurative?
>
> Regards,
> -drc

Nothing forces anyone who wants to route a prefix to follow the IANA
or ARIN RPKI.  It is followed by agreement of the community, if it
gets followed at all.

There is no regulation that would prevent someone from setting up
an alternate RPKI certificate authority and issuing certificates for
resources alternative to the RIR system.

Try doing that with Callsigns and using them on the air. The FCC
will either fine you or have you locked up in relatively short order.
ARIN cannot.

It cannot become a criminal offense subject to incarceration for you
to violate ARIN policy. It is a purely civil matter.

Actual regulators have the force of law. ARIN does not.

Owen