Behold - the Address-Yenta!

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Apr 9 18:09:54 UTC 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 12:20 PM, David Conrad wrote:

>> The question discussed is the practice of performing resource review as a
>> result of fraudulent applications.
>
> Actually, no.  The question was whether the practice of creating a company to hold IP addresses then selling that company to another organization was considered by ARIN to be fraudulent.  In the particular (historical) cases I'm aware of, the address space in question was legacy /24s and the transfers were done (as I understand it) according to ARIN policies of the time.

David - I didn't say that "the practice of creating a company to hold IP addresses
then selling that company to another organization" was considered fraudulent by ARIN.
I asked that you please report such cases, as depending on the specific circumstances
they are  *potentially* fraudulent.

> Speaking personally (of course), I'll admit a certain lack of comfort with the idea of ARIN (or any RIR) acting as lawmaker, police, judge, jury, and (assuming RPKI gets deployed) executioner.

As a member of the community, you are free to propose changes to or elimination
of the policies in the NRPM which you are not comfortable with; I expect that you
will find them in sections 8 and 12.  The policy development role is open to the
community, but specifically not the ARIN Board and Staff, so there is perhaps a
little more separation present than your email suggests.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN