ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 9 18:01:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Brandon Ross <bross at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2010, William Herrin wrote:
>> Last I heard, the FCC has access to people with law degrees not guns.
>> Much like ARIN, really.
>
> Oh really?  So if I start using a frequency that requires a license and I
> don't have one, won't they tell me to stop?  And if I say no, I won't stop,
> what happens then?

Brandon,

Fun movies notwithstanding, they generally issue a fine and work it
through the civil courts.

If you were doing something extraordinary, like jamming emergency
communications, I expect they might well call the police for
assistance. But those are police, not FCC agents, and they're acting
as much on behalf of the folks whose signals you're jamming as they
are on behalf of the FCC. You'll find that any of us (including ARIN)
can summon police for assistance with assaults upon us.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004