ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Apr 9 17:34:00 UTC 2010

Owen,

On Apr 9, 2010, at 7:07 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> No, ARIN is not a regulator.  Regulators have guns or access to people with
> guns to enforce the regulations that they enact. ARIN has no such power.

I'm a little confused on the distinction you're making.  Today, ARIN can remove whois data/reverse delegations as a way of enforcing 'regulations'.  In the future, assuming RPKI is deployed, ARIN could, in theory, revoke the certification of a resource.  While not a gun, these are means of coercion.  Are you being literal when you say "gun" or figurative?

Regards,
-drc