"Running out of IPv6" (Re: ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacyIP4 Space)

Michael Dillon wavetossed at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 9 17:05:43 UTC 2010

> If you have downstream customers, even if they're just dialups, expect
> to assign at least a /60 to each one. Many folks recommend /56 or /48.

ARIN counts a /56 or a /48 per customer, your choice. There is no
point in allocating less.

More to the point, soon the IPv4 address shortage and the transition to IPv6
will hit the mainstream press, and hundred of writers will be writing advice
columns about it. From their point of view, more for the customer at the
same price is better, and I fully expect that they will be advising folks to
make their ISP choice based on how much address space is allocated.
If you allocate less than a /56 per customer, then you won't be able to
sell  to new customers or hang on to old ones.

Just don't do it, because you are only damaging your own business.
ARIN will not give you a discount or give you better terms just because
you allocate a /60 to dialup customers. There is simply no benefit
to you or to the networking community in allocating a prefix longer
than /56.

--Michael Dillon