Behold - the Address-Yenta!

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Apr 9 16:20:31 UTC 2010

John,

On Apr 9, 2010, at 1:43 AM, John Curran wrote:
> ARIN's position follows RFC 2008

This seems to be contradicted by ARIN's (perfectly reasonable) policies regarding the assignment of provider independent address space to end users.

As to whether addresses are assets, I suspect we'll have to wait until the courts rule.  I'm sure folks at Networld+InterOp, Apple, HP, etc. will be quite surprised if the courts rule according to ARIN's views.

> The question discussed is the practice of performing resource review as a
> result of fraudulent applications.

Actually, no.  The question was whether the practice of creating a company to hold IP addresses then selling that company to another organization was considered by ARIN to be fraudulent.  In the particular (historical) cases I'm aware of, the address space in question was legacy /24s and the transfers were done (as I understand it) according to ARIN policies of the time.

Speaking personally (of course), I'll admit a certain lack of comfort with the idea of ARIN (or any RIR) acting as lawmaker, police, judge, jury, and (assuming RPKI gets deployed) executioner.

Regards,
-drc