ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Apr 8 23:30:40 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 06:05:09PM -0500, Dan White wrote:

> >>I believe your question is based on an outdated assumption.
> >
> >	and that outdated assumption is?
>
> The assumption that ARIN allocations are based on anything other than 12-24
> month need (with only a few exceptions).

	allocations are based on:

	) current policy
	) demonstrated need

	always have (even pre-ARIN, pre-RIR) ... when the policy was "there is
	a network and host split" then every qualified applicant got a /8.
	and your point about getting "enough" for a 12-24 month need backs
	up my assertion that you are allocated more than you need.

	there is some "padding" for you to grow into.  which you may or may not
	do. strict needs based allocation would give you -exactly- what you need
	at the time of the request - sort of like a DHCP assignment no?

> If there are a significant number of sparse allocations of IPv4 blocks in
> ARIN, then that's a good indication that allocation rules need to be
> updated.

	the tricky parts there are:

	) how is utilization defined?
	) how to accomodate historical and legacy delegations that had different
	  assignment rules than are currently in effect.
	) is it -worth- the cost to effectively manage a resource pool or are we
	  willing to unilterally declare a "chernobyl Zone of Alienation" around
	  the IPv4 pool that we have, by our own unwillingness, agreed to consider
	  "toxic" and too costly to manage...  and proceed to use the exact same
	  policies/procedures on the IPv6 pool - which despite zelots claims to
	  the contrary - is finite and we stand a very real chance of screwing it
	  up too.   I'd like to see the community work toward a real 80% utiliztion
	  of the IPv4 pool (since I know for a fact taht there is lots of sparse
	  allocation out there...)

Just saying.