ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Apr 8 21:47:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:26 PM, John Payne <john at sackheads.org> wrote:
> b) ARIN or RIRv6 has costs that are covered by registration fees.
>  How does having a whole bunch of freeloaders save me money?

'Cause if you're clever about it, they're not freeloaders forever...
they only get to be freeloaders until, as you so succinctly put it,
their presence pushes you into the majority that finds it acceptable
to deploy IPv6-only servers.

What I might do, and I'm just talking here, but what I might do in
ARIN's shoes is preemptively allocate /32s or assign /48s to ARIN orgs
whose ASes currently announce only IPv4 prefixes. The deal is:
everybody gets em, no assignment fee or evaluation beyond the fact
that you're announcing IPv4 now, free for two years after which you
either sign the contract and start paying the annual, or you don't and
the address block is reclaimed by ARIN.

Gives me a $1250 incentive to deploy IPv6 now instead of waiting, and
costs you nothing now since I wouldn't have spent the $1250 now
anyway. Probably costs you nothing later too, because after two years
I'll be paying annuals that I might not otherwise have had to pay
-and- since my assignment was done in bulk, ARIN staff will never
spend the time (time=money) individually processing my initial
assignment.

>> Inducing behavior that ultimately reduces everybody's cost "serves the
>> public interest." That's what organizations like ARIN are for: serving
>> the public interest.
>
> But I don't agree that giving you a free ride reduces everyone's
>costs.  In fact, I think it increases everyone else's costs.

Fair enough. I won't begrudge you the choice. Just remember years from
now when you cough up the cash for that extra v4 address: you had
another option.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004