what about 48 bits?

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Apr 8 21:13:00 UTC 2010

In article <201004071118.o37BIvK1022393 at aurora.sol.net>, Joe Greco
<jgreco at ns.sol.net> writes

>Unfortunately, power-cycling crashed PC's is (was?) pretty common, and
>many users are (were?) also trained to shut off PC's when done, so here
>you've introduced something that is by-design going to fail periodically.

OK, I agree that fitting a PC-powered hub into a client PC isn't the
best decision in the world. But losing one segment of a 10Base-T LAN
(which was the technology I used) is not the end of the world, and I
took the precaution of installing the hub in my server.

Despite these potential operational banana skins, it was still a product
that tipped me irrevocably into the world of Ethernet (having earlier
toyed with pale imitations).
--
Roland Perry