ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

John Payne john at sackheads.org
Thu Apr 8 20:35:19 UTC 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 4:14 PM, Joe Greco wrote:

>> On Apr 8, 2010, at 11:36 AM, Joe Greco wrote:
>>
>>> IPv6-only content won't be meaningful for years yet, and IPv6-only
>>> eyeballs will necessarily be given ways to reach v4 for many years
>>> to come.
>>
>> So again, why do WE have to encourage YOU to adopt IPv6?
>> Why should WE care what you do to the point of creating new rules so YOU don't have to pay like everyone else?
>
> Flip it around: Why should WE care about IPv6?  WE would have to sign
> an onerous RSA with ARIN, giving up some of our rights in the process.
> WE have sufficient IP space to sit it out awhile; by doing that, WE
> save cash in a tight economy.  WE are not so large that we spend four
> figures without batting an eyelash, so that's attractive.

So don't.  If your business plan doesn't involve paying to adopt IPv6, don't adopt it.

> Further, anyone who is providing IPv6-only content has cut off most of
> the Internet, so basically no significant content is available on IPv6-
> only.  That means there is no motivation for US to jump on the IPv6
> bandwagon.

If you have no motivation, don't jump.  You have enough IPv4 space to not worry about not being able to get more.  Don't create work for yourself that you don't need to.

> Even more, anyone who is on an IPv6-only eyeball network is cut off from
> most of the content of the Internet; this means that ISP's will be having
> to provide IPv6-to-v4 services.  Either they'll be good, or if customers
> complain, WE will be telling them how badly their ISP sucks.

Yep, and their ISP will be telling them how you suck because you haven't moved with the rest of the world to suppoorting IPv6 (whether or not that's true... same as whether or not their ISP sucks is true).

> *I* am personally convinced that IPv6 is great, but on the other hand,
> I do not see so much value in v6 that I am prepared to compel the
> budgeting for ARIN v6 fees, especially since someone from ARIN just
> described all the ways in which they fritter away money.

Well, if you join ARIN you could propose policy to get you IPv6 space for free, so you can continue to not support the registration services you implicitly rely on.
Just sayin'.

> As a result, the state of affairs simply retards the uptake and adoption
> of v6 among networks that would otherwise be agreeable to the idea; so,
> tell me, do you see that as being beneficial to the Internet community
> at large, or not?

If you have content or eyeballs that are important to me, I will find a way of getting to you.  If you don't, I don't care.

> Note that I'm taking a strongly opposing stance for the sake of debate,
> the reality is a bit softer.  Given a moderately good offer, we'd almost
> certainly adopt IPv6.

If you gave me salad for free, I'd almost certainly eat healthier.