Behold - the Address-Yenta!

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Apr 8 19:39:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 03:14:50PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:37 PM,  <bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 02:22:29PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
> >> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Mr. James W. Laferriere
> >>
> >> Not much sympathy for folks crying the blues about the cost of an
> >> address assignment that they're going to turn around and announce into
> >> the DFZ...
> >
> >        assuming facts not in evidence there ... but ok.
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> If you're not planning to announce a route into the DFZ, we have
> RFC1918 or IPv6's ULA, address pools that are 100% and completely free
> for your use.

	er... you misunderstand... there is no single "DFZ" anywhere...
	it is a fiction.  no prefix in existance, save 127.0.0.0, ::1,
	and 0.0.0.0 is globally reachable.   reachability depends on your
	POV, where "you" is roughly the number of addressable entities
	on the planet.  folks announce a route to their peers, and last
	i checked, no ASN peered with -everyone-.

	that said, transient connectivity is even more popular now
	than it was twenty years ago.  folks connect/disconnect/reconnet
	all the time.

	this is the primary reason why Globally Unique Addresses are so
	important - one cna nver tell when they will need to peer with
	someone else in the future.

> >> ARIN has implemented a structure to facilitate IPv4 address transfers
> >> should an open market come to exist. Between an address market and the
> >> ever more creative use of NAT, it should be possible for IPv4
> >> addressing to continue after free pool depletion as a zero-sum game.
> >> Exactly how long is a matter of debate with speculation ranging from
> >> months to decades.
> >
> >        cool.  I've used the transfer policy with limited success.
> >        I guess the interesting thing in your statement (and I suspect
> >        a trip to the ARIN NRPM is in order) is "should an open market
> >        come into existence" ... how do you see that happening?
>
> eBay?

	last ebay transaction I saw was a posting by Martin Levy - and it was
	withdrawn after some urging by ARIN.  Addresses are not sellable
	property.  So what would an "open market" be in... rights to use?
	(come to think of it, I have seen submarine cable IRUs for sale on eBAY)

> Given a demand and a supply, markets don't traditionally need a whole
> lot of help to come into being.

	Ok... lets say there is a pent up supply ...  and no good way to
	let those with demand know the supply exists.   I'll consider
	acting as the "address Yenta"   ---   if folks have prefixes they
	are not using, and would like to let others know there is availablity,
	I'll be glad to be the "go between".

> >        but more to my point.  If I'm using a single /24 out of my /20
> >        (using an antiquated example) - would there be:
> >
> >        ) interest in the other 15 /24s
> >        ) how would that interest be expressed (so I would know about it)
> >        ) complaints from the folks running w/o default about
> >          the new prefixes on offer?  **
>
> The basic plan (ARIN NRPM section 8.3) is:
>
> 1. Request and be approved for addresses from ARIN (even though ARIN
> won't have any addresses to give).
>
> 2. Find (pay) someone who has ARIN-managed addresses that they're
> willing to give up in the quantity you want.
>
> 3. Current holder releases addresses to ARIN in the requested (paid)
> quantity with instructions to provide those addresses to the
> already-authorized recipient (in #1).
>
> 4. ARIN updates the registration accordingly.

	I remember this.  it suffers from two primary weaknesses:

	) finding someone (see my address-Yenta offer above)
	) this only works within the ARIN region.