"Running out of IPv6" (Re: ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Apr 8 18:47:40 UTC 2010

[changing topics, so that it actually reflects the content]

On 2010-04-08 20:33, William Herrin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
>> With IPv6 designed the
>> way it is, is there a realistic chance of running out of IPv6 even if
>> some questionable delegations are made?
>
> Joe,
>
> You're aware that RIPE has already made some /19 and /20 IPv6 allocations?
>
> Yes, with suitably questionable delegations, it is possible to run out
> of IPv6 quickly.

Ever noticed that fat /13 for a certain military network in the ARIN
region!?

At least those /19 are justifyiable under the HD rules (XX million
customers times a /48 and voila). A /13 though, very hard to justify...

Also, please note that the current policies and "waste" (ahem) is only
for 2000::/3, if that runs out we can take another 7 looks at how we
should distribute address space without "waste".
Indeed the folks now getting IPv6 will have an IPv4 A-class advantage,
but heck, if 2000::/3 is full, we finally can say we properly deployed
IPv6 straight all around to the rest of the universe...

Greets,
 Jeroen