ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Apr 8 18:19:32 UTC 2010

On 08 Apr 2010 12:42, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
>     Hello Lee ,
>
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, Lee Howard wrote:

The section you quoted is the second of the three-part "or" statement.
Unfortunately, recent policy changes have made a mess of that text, so
I'll offer an edited version that has the same meaning but is much clearer:

"6.5.8.1. Criteria

To qualify for a direct assignment, an organization must:

   1. not be an IPv6 LIR; and
   2. one (or more) of the following:
         1. qualify for an IPv4 assignment or allocation from ARIN under
            the IPv4 policy currently in effect, or
         2. demonstrate efficient utilization of all direct IPv4
            assignments and allocations, each of which must be covered
            by any current ARIN RSA, or
         3. be a qualifying Community Network as defined in Section 2.8,
            with assignment criteria defined in section 6.5.9."

IOW, even if you don't qualify under (b)(2) because you haven't signed
an LRSA for your legacy space, you can still qualify under (b)(1) or (b)(3).

Now, let's look at how one qualifies for (b)(1):

"4.3.2. Minimum assignment
4.3.2.1 Single Connection
The minimum block of IP address space assigned by ARIN to end-users is a
/20. If assignments smaller than /20 are needed, end-users should
contact their upstream provider.
4.3.2.2 Multihomed Connection
For end-users who demonstrate an intent to announce the requested space
in a multihomed fashion, the minimum block of IP address space assigned
is a /22. If assignments smaller than a /22 are needed, multihomed
end-users should contact their upstream providers. When prefixes are
assigned which are longer than /20, they will be from a block reserved
for that purpose.
4.3.3. Utilization rate
Utilization rate of address space is a key factor in justifying a new
assignment of IP address space. Requesters must show exactly how
previous address assignments have been utilized and must provide
appropriate details to verify their one-year growth projection. The
basic criteria that must be met are:

    * A 25% immediate utilization rate, and
    * A 50% utilization rate within one year.

A greater utilization rate may be required based on individual network
requirements. Please refer to RFC 2050 for more information on
utilization guidelines."

So, if you are multi-homed, you would need a 25-50% utilization of a
/22, or 256-512 hosts; if you are single-homed, you would need a 25-50%
utilization of a /20, or 1024-2048 hosts.

That is an extremely low bar for any org to automatically qualify for a
IPv6 /48 (and a slot in every DFZ router).

> I find the present lRSA an indecent attempt to undermine the present
> Legacy ipv4 holders view of the rights presented them at the time of
> their Assignments or Allocations .  If I could find my OLD Ultrix
> Tarball or Dump tapes from that era ,  and they are still readable ,
> I might just be able to present the conversations I had at that time
> with InterNIC while acquiring that Legacy Space .
>     Might someone else have a Document or some other Recorded
> conversation ?

If you have any documents or recordings that show ARIN has _any_
existing contractual obligations to you regarding your legacy space,
either directly or as legal successor of some other organization, please
present it.  I'm sure ARIN's legal counsel would be quite interested,
but AFAIK no legacy holder has _ever_ been able to do so.

Until such time as someone proves otherwise, we must assume that ARIN
has _no_ obligations to you, and they could (if the community so
desired) delete your unpaid, uncontracted registration from their
database and assign/allocate those numbers to some other party, and
there's not a damn thing you could do about it other than waste lots of
money on a lawsuit you'd undoubtedly lose.  Signing an LRSA protects you
against that possibility--forever--at minimal cost.