ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Apr 8 17:32:49 UTC 2010

On 07 Apr 2010 18:40, N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
> I don't think the issue is *money* (at least the big issue; money is
> *always* an issue), but rather the all-of-sudden jump from being
> unregulated to regulated, whatever that means.

ARIN is not a regulator.  The "jump" is from not paying for services
that you have no contract for to paying for services that you do have a
contract for.

> I would think multiple times before making that jump. Hence my suggestion to set up a separate organization to request IPv6 space, and thus not 'endanger' whatever I had before.

Signing an RSA to get new space does not _in any way_ "endanger" or
otherwise affect legacy resources.  Putting legacy resources under LRSA
(or RSA, if you wished) is a completely separate action and is, for now
at least, completely optional.  You do not need to set up a separate
organization; all that does is waste your time and ARIN's.