ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Apr 8 12:51:47 UTC 2010

> On Apr 7, 2010, at 12:09 PM, John Palmer (NANOG Acct) wrote:
>
> > Was looking at the ARIN IP6 policy and cannot find any reference to those who have
> > IP4 legacy space.
> >
> > Isn't there an automatic allocation for those of us who have legacy IP space. If not, is ARIN
> > saying we have to pay them a fee to use IP6?  Isn't this a disincentive for us to move up to IP6?
> >
> > Those with legacy IP4 space should have the equivalent IP6 space under the same terms. Or
> > am I missing something?
>
> If you don't have a contract with ARIN, why should ARIN provide you with anything?

Because a legacy holder doesn't care about ARIN; a legacy holder has
usable space that cannot be reclaimed by ARIN and who is not paying
anything to ARIN.  The point here is that this situation does not
encourage adoption of IPv6, where suddenly there'd be an annual fee
and a contract for the space.  "ARIN" is incidental, simply the RIR
responsible in this case.

... JG