Finding content in your job title

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Apr 7 23:34:38 UTC 2010

On Apr 7, 2010, at 3:45 PM, Gregory Hicks wrote:

>> Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 11:39:09 -0700
>> From: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen at mompl.net>
>> To: NANOG list <nanog at nanog.org>
>> Subject: Re: Finding content in your job title
>>
>> Lamar Owen wrote:
>>> companies, Official Title is used to determine salary (or even
>>> whether you're an exempt employee or not).  And the company's
>>> bylaws may invest particular
>>
>> Unless I misread the laws regarding this, in CA at least you still
>> have to earn ~$40/hr or more (it varies and last I read it was
>> lowered a few $s) or more to be considered exempt, regardless of your
>> job title
>
> Actually, it doesn't matter how much you make per hour, the deciding
> factor between exempt and non-exempt is how many (if any) people you
> SUPERVISE.  No supervision of others, then non-exempt.

That is not entirely correct.  The actual text of the law, IIRC, reads to the
effect of "Work which is primarily intellectual or managerial in nature..."

In other words, if you are management _OR_ some form of technical
professional.  Most of the technical individual contributors I know that
are in the 6-figure realm are exempt.

You can find California Guidance on this matter here:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_OvertimeExemptions.htm

More information is available here:

http://www.management-advantage.com/products/overtime-exempt.html

For further information, refer to the California Labor Code, near section 515.
(515.5 applies to this industry)

Other states may vary.

Owen