ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Dave Temkin davet1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 23:26:51 UTC 2010

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> Joe Greco wrote:
>

>> It's not the initial assignment fee that's really an impediment, it's
>> moving from a model where the address space is free (or nearly so) to
>> a model where you're paying a significant annual fee for the space.
>>
>> We'd be doing IPv6 here if not for the annual fee.  As it stands, there
>> isn't that much reason to do IPv6, and a significant disincentive in the
>> form of the fees.
>>
>> ... JG
>>

> I have to agree ... why such high charges when a similar service like
> GoDaddy provides (domain name registrar) is $15 a year?
>
> Is it REALLY X times the level of difficulty of registering a domain
> name, and thus the charges are justified?  I will let someone who is
> very technical explain this to me.
>
> Cordially
>
> Patrick

There are 117,351,239 domain names registered.  If I had to guess, there
are less than 1% of that total number in IP assignments (not
allocations), but I don't have the patience to go compile those
statistics.  GoDaddy exists based on volume, which we don't have the
same scale with IP assignments.

-Dave