ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 22:57:07 UTC 2010

On Wed 4/7/2010 2:12 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, Ricky Beam wrote:
>

>> They will have to start paying for
>> address space like everyone else.
>>
> I could handle 'like everyone else', but have you noticed the HUGE
> per IP disparity between large and small block sizes?

Gary,

ARIN doesn't allocate IPv6 addresses on a per-address basis.  ARIN
charges fees for address block assignments using a cost recovery model,
and attempts to set those fees approximately proportional to the costs
of allocating, assigning, and maintaining registration for address blocks.

It costs ARIN about the same (up front) to allocate a /32 as it does to
assign a /48.  On an ongoing basis, it costs more to maintain registry
integrity (keep whois up to date) on a /32 allocation than it does for a
/48 assignment.  So the annual fee for a /48 assignment is $100/yr,
whereas the annual fee for a /32 allocation is the same as the initial
allocation fee.

If you are not an ARIN member, but would like to participate in the
members' discussion of ARIN's fee structure, the semi-annual member's
meeting is open to the public.  Remote participation is available free
of charge:
https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/ARIN-XXV/remote.html

Also, don't forget that if you want to pay less (i.e. nothing) for your
IPv6 assignment, you can get a /48 for free from just about any ISP that
does IPv6.

-Scott