Finding content in your job title

Gregory Hicks ghicks at hicks-net.net
Wed Apr 7 22:45:11 UTC 2010

> Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 11:39:09 -0700
> From: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen at mompl.net>
> To: NANOG list <nanog at nanog.org>
> Subject: Re: Finding content in your job title
>
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> > companies, Official Title is used to determine salary (or even
> > whether you're an exempt employee or not).  And the company's
> > bylaws may invest particular
>
> Unless I misread the laws regarding this, in CA at least you still
> have to earn ~$40/hr or more (it varies and last I read it was
> lowered a few $s) or more to be considered exempt, regardless of your
> job title

Actually, it doesn't matter how much you make per hour, the deciding
factor between exempt and non-exempt is how many (if any) people you
SUPERVISE.  No supervision of others, then non-exempt.

Now you and the employer may agree to some other definition, but that
is between you and them.

At my previous $DAY_JOB, a technicion who was classified as "exempt"
took $EMPLOYER to court over back pay, overtime, lunch breaks, et al
and WON.  (He had no direct reports...)

Regards,
Gregory Hicks
Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
                                        | Direct:   408.569.7928

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf -- George Orwell

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.  -- Thomas Jefferson