ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Apr 7 21:49:27 UTC 2010

On Apr 7, 2010, at 10:52 AM, William Pitcock wrote:
> And when there are no eyeballs to look at your IPv4 content because your
> average comcast user is on IPv6?

The chances of this actually occurring in our lifetime are so small as to be meaningless.  There are (according to published reports) between 1 and 2 billion people reachable on IPv4.  No rational commercial Internet organization is going to block themselves off from that customer base.  Folks like Comcast will probably add IPv6 support _in addition to_ IPv4.  Eventually, they may even add a surcharge to encourage people to migrate off IPv4, but I'd imagine that's way down the line.  By way of analogy, how long did pulse dialing continue to be supported in the phone system after DTMF was introduced?

Regards,
-drc