ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 21:05:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:09:30 -0400, John Palmer (NANOG Acct)
<nanog2 at adns.net> wrote:
> If not, is ARIN saying we have to pay them a fee to use IP6?

Yeap.  Just like everyone else with address space assigned from ARIN.

> Isn't this a disincentive for us to move up to IP6?

Yes! However, eventually, your "free" IPv4 space will be useless -- the
rest of the world having moved on to IPv6. (and eventually the sun will
burn out. I'm not worried about either.)

> Those with legacy IP4 space should have the equivalent IP6 space under
> the same terms. Or am I missing something?

Why should they?  The early ("legacy") allocations are from an different
era.  Their free ride is nearing it's end.  They will have to start paying
for address space like everyone else.  And yes, that will further hinder
IPv6 deployment.