Finding content in your job title

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Wed Apr 7 19:09:40 UTC 2010

Larry Sheldon wrote:
> On 4/7/2010 13:39, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

>> Unless I misread the laws regarding this, in CA at least you still have
>> to earn ~$40/hr or more (it varies and last I read it was lowered a few
>> $s) or more to be considered exempt, regardless of your job title

> When I  was a manager out thee some years ago, you also had to have
> substantial control over your activities.

Yes, and it has to be of a special "intellectual" nature (for lack of
better terms). I would think just a fancy job title, but no duties to
reflect it, would not stand a chance at all if the employee would
legally challenge their supposedly exempt status.

Anyways,
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/Glossary.asp?Button1=E#employee%20in%20the%20computer%20software%20field
explains it fairly well.

"The employee's hourly rate of pay is not less than $41.00 [the rate in
effect on September 19, 2000]". The rate according to their provided pdf
is not less than $37.94 or not less than $79050.- annually.

Regards,
Jeroen