ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Apr 7 16:49:33 UTC 2010

On Apr 7, 2010, at 9:22 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM, John Palmer (NANOG Acct)
> <nanog2 at adns.net> wrote:
>> Was looking at the ARIN IP6 policy and cannot find any reference to those
>> who have
>> IP4 legacy space.
>>
>> Isn't there an automatic allocation for those of us who have legacy IP
>> space. If not, is ARIN
>> saying we have to pay them a fee to use IP6?  Isn't this a disincentive for
>> us to move up to IP6?
>>
>> Those with legacy IP4 space should have the equivalent IP6 space under the
>> same terms. Or am I missing something?
>
> Hi John,
>
> The game is:
>
> Sign ARIN's "Legacy RSA" covering your legacy space. With the LRSA you
> retain more rights than folks who sign the regular RSA, but probably
> less rights than you have now.

More accurately, you retain more rights than the standard RSA and you
move from a situation where your exact rights are unknown and
undetermined with no contractual relationship between you and ARIN
to a situation where your rights are assured, enumerated, and a
contractual relationship exists between you and ARIN governing
the services you are receiving from ARIN.

> Pay your $100/year as an end-user. You now qualify for an IPv6
> assignment under ARIN NRPM 6.5.8.1b regardless of the size of your
> network.
>
> Pay the $1250 IPv6 initial assignment fee.

This is correct. I would like to see initial registration fee waivers for
IPv6 end-user assignments.  I've brought the subject up on arin-discuss.
There was substantial opposition to the idea.  If you would like to see
that happen, I encourage you to voice your opinion there.

> For better or for worse, you're not going to get IPv6 space under the
> "same terms" as your legacy IPv4 space. You got a really good deal on
> IPv4. Try not to be too disappointed that the same deal isn't
> available with IPv6.

Well said, Bill.

Owen