FCC dealt major blow in net neutrality ruling favoring Comcast

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 14:42:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 08:21, Mark Smith
<nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org> wrote:
<snip>
> So, there's the problem. According to the above, I'm both for, and
> against, Network Neutrality.
>
> One thing which would significantly help this argument for or against
> Network Neutrality is defining exactly what it is.

ISOC has gone a step further and stopped using the term "network
neutrality" in general. This is due in large part to the problem you
described quite well here - the term is loaded with emotion and
largely undefined. They are now using the phrase "Open
Internetworking" to describe their stance on the issue.

For what it's worth, here is a good document recently published which
defines that stance:
http://www.isoc.org/pubpolpillar/usercentricity/20100222-Inter-Networking.pdf

~Chris

<disclaimer>I am the founding chair of the Colorado Chapter of the
Internet Society - CO ISOC</disclaimer>

--
@ChrisGrundemann
weblog.chrisgrundemann.com