Wireless bridge

Peter Boone NANOG at Aquillar.com
Mon Apr 5 22:41:40 UTC 2010

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, allow me to paraphrase: the link does not
drop, actual throughput is now faster than our internet connection, and
transfers have not been interrupted, so we are happy. As I mentioned, our
previous setup could only work reliably when locked at 6 Mbps, and even then
there were interruptions and mysterious downtime, so a 54 Mbps theoretical
max rate has been a godsend. Also, there were no "shiny sales brochures"
involved in the decision, the Bullet2's were the most cost-effective
solution to get the job done, and at minimal loss if the odd problems were
not actually solved (see the archive of this thread from June 2009 for
details).

Bret,
You are correct, the Bullets are on max output power right now so they are
loud, and I just found that Ubiquiti recommends aiming for -50 to -70 dBm
"for stable links". I always looked at the hot signal issue like a bad
quality speaker turned up too loud; where in this case the speaker is the
wireless radio. Since there have been no wireless errors and (aside from a
small number of expected Invalid Network ID errors) and the dBm is high I
figure the signal is loud and clear on each end, but I'll be sure to tweak
the power output. There have actually been more error packets on the wire
than in the air (0.000001% of LAN packets).

Regards,

Peter