what about 48 bits?

Bill Stewart nonobvious at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 21:10:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Steven Bellovin <smb at cs.columbia.edu> wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2010, at 1:43 52PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>> Steve is talking mid-80s pricing, not mid-90s.  By '93 or so, the fact
>> that Ethernet was becoming ubiquitous had already forced the price down.
>
> Yup.  10 years earlier, a 3Com Ethernet card for a Vax cost about $1500, if memory serves.

$1500 is what I remember also (forget if that was the Interlan NI1010
or the DEUNA / DELUA),
plus of course the cost of whatever Unibus you're burning the bandwidth on.
Serial was cheaper, but most of the competition wasn't.
I assume Datakit boards had a regular list price for customers other
than intra-Bell?

--
----
             Thanks;     Bill

Note that this isn't my regular email account - It's still experimental so far.
And Google probably logs and indexes everything you send it.