What is "The Internet" TCP/IP or UNIX-to-UNIX ?

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Mon Apr 5 16:12:16 UTC 2010

On 4/5/2010 10:21, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> Jim Mercer <jim at reptiles.org> wrote:
>
>> if the script determined an email was > X bytes (100k?), the message body
>> was rewritten with:
>>
>> "Contents removed at LSUC, email is not a file transport protocol."
>> and the mail was left to continue on its path.
>>
>> i kinda feel like adding the same script back into my servers.
>
> I have my Sendmail configured to cut off anything past 256 KB in the
> collect phase.  At first I had it configured to reject the whole message
> (close the SMTP connection while the junk is still spewing), but people
> started assuming that my E-mail address was bad instead of realizing
> that they were sending oversize junk, so I've changed it to cut off and
> discard the excess fat, but still let the first 256 KB through so I at
> least see that someone tried to send me something.
>
> Files are meant to be FTPed, not E-mailed.  If someone is too stupid to
> use a real command line FTP client to upload a file to my FTP drop box,
> I make them use www.yousendit.com.

At Creighton the VP for IT explained to me that the President of the
University was too stupid to use FTP.

So we had to rebuild the mail system to send his Power Point
Presentation the 150 yards to the President's Office.  (I don't remember
how big it was--a two-hour presentation as I recall.)

With CC's to most of the known universe.

--
Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on the dinner menu.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs