What is "The Internet" TCP/IP or UNIX-to-UNIX ?

Vadim Antonov avg at kotovnik.com
Mon Apr 5 09:47:56 UTC 2010

It wasn't Moscow State U.  It was privately-owned network (called RELCOM)
from the day one (which was in 1990, not 1987... in 1987 connecting a
dial-up modem to phone network was still illegal in the USSR), built by
DEMOS co-op (that company is still alive, by the way).  Moscow State U was
one of the first customers (the guy responsible for connecting MSU later
founded Stalker Inc. which makes hi-perf e-mail servers).

It was UUCP-based initially, though I decided to avoid pathalias (it being
a horrible kludge) and wrote UUCP message router which translated domain
hostnames into UUCP next-hops - this is why email to .SU never used bang
paths.

The ability to build dirt-cheap networks over crappy phone lines and using
some no-name PCs as message and packet routers was noticed, see for
example: "Developing Networks in Less Industrialized Nations" by Larry
Press (EEE Computer, vol 28, No 6, June, 1995, pp 66-71)
http://som.csudh.edu/cis/lpress/ieee.htm

--vadim