CPE Ethernet switch suggestions

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Mon Apr 5 07:20:12 UTC 2010

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 11:04:25 -0400
ML <ml at kenweb.org> wrote:

> Lately I've been delivering triple play services over a single CAT5 drop
> from a IDF to customers.  We have been using small SOHO switches but
> they've been turning into a bit of a hassle since we have to stage each
> switch before deployment.
>
> I want remove the initial staging step by allowing the installer to just
> plug the switch in and have the switch grab a config from a TFTP server
> noted by a DHCP option.
>
> Features that I would absolutely need for the switch to be viable:
>

> IGMP Snooping
> Dot1q VLAN tagging
> Preferably 8-ports
> A decent set of rate limiting options (5/10/20Mbps)
> Extra bonus if it can also be PoE powered
>

> Does anyone on list know of such a dream CPE device?

ES 2108G goes close to your requirements. Don't have a wall wart
because PS is built in, come with rack mount wings out of the box, have
64 bit interface traffic counters, rate limiting is in 64Kbps
increments, Cisco link CLI, serial console as well as managment via
HTTPs and CLI over SSH, 802.1X, port bonding/etherchannel, and are both
cheap and reliable. Not sure about TFTP config support though.

http://www.zyxel.com/web/product_category.php?PC1indexflag=20040520161143&display=6857