legacy /8

Joel M Snyder Joel.Snyder at Opus1.COM
Sun Apr 4 15:59:38 UTC 2010

Owen DeLong wrote:

 >It was based on 56kbit lines and the primary applications were
 >email, ftp, and telnet.

(you have to have the right Yorkshire accent and Monty Python background
for this...)

56kbit lines?  If only we were so lucky...
We had 9600 V.29 synchronous modems!

Synchronous?  My god, how pampered you were.
We had V.32 dialup and those crazy Telebit modems.  Got 19.2 once, in
one direction, on a good day.

19.2 asymmetric?  We dreamed of 19.2 asymmetric!
We had 300 bps dialup using an acoustic coupler.

Acoustic coupler?  Luxury!!!
We had to hum the modem tones ourselves into the phone line over a 2500
set with a frayed cord...

(you can go on this way for a long time...  We now return you to your
regularly scheduled IPv3 NANOG troll...)

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494