what about 48 bits?

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Apr 4 15:51:52 UTC 2010

On Apr 4, 2010, at 11:46 17AM, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:

> Excerpts from John Peach's message of Sun Apr 04 08:17:28 -0700 2010:
>> On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 11:10:56 -0400
>> David Andersen <dga at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> There are some classical cases of assigning the same MAC address to every machine in a batch, resetting the counter used to number them, etc.;  unless shown otherwise, these are likely to be errors, not accidental collisions.
>>>
>>>  -Dave

>> Sun, for one, used to assign the same MAC address to every NIC in the
>> same box.
>
> I could see how that *could* work as long as each interface connected to
> a different LAN.
>
> Maybe the NICs shared a single MII/MAC sublayer somehow? I've never
> borne witness to this though.

There was a socketed ROM IC with the *machine's* MAC address on the motherboard, way back when.  If your motherboard needed replacing, the tech would move that IC to the replacement.

Why was this done?  The reason was simple: compatibility with other stacks.  Remember that circa 1988-1990, it was not obvious that TCP/IP was going to be the winner.