what about 48 bits?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Apr 4 15:41:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010, jim deleskie wrote:

> I've seen duplicate addresses in the wild in the past, I assume there
> is some amount of reuse, even though they are suppose to be unique.

5 percent of the mac addresses in a ADSL population used the same MAC
address. Turned out to be some D-link device that didn't have unique
address but they all had the same, and had a feature where you could
"clone" the internal PC MAC address if you wanted to, otherwise it used
some default address.

D-link support responded to customer inquiries with "yes, we know that
they're not unique enough". Nuff said, avoid.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se