What is "The Internet" TCP/IP or UNIX-to-UNIX ?

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Sun Apr 4 14:02:53 UTC 2010

On 4/3/2010 21:36, Joe Greco wrote:
>> What if TCP is removed ? and IP is completely re-worked in the same
>> 160-bit foot-print as IPv4 ? Would 64-bit Addressing last a few years ?

I must have dozed off--what is the connection between the Subject: and
the recent traffic under it.

"The Internet" (Note caps) is the (I'd like to say "web" but that will
be misunderstood--current usage is actually correct, but bigger than
porn and such) of connections between networks.  Its connection layer is
IP, other protocols such as UDP and IP (AND OTHERS) "ride" on IP, which
in turn rides on one or more layers of facility-relevant transport
protocols.

UUCP is not a descriptor of any kind of a network in any engineering
sense that I know of.  It is a point-to-point communications protocol.
Other protocols, including network protocols (NNTP, SMTP) used in
networking as a sociologist might use the term.
--
Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on the dinner menu.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs