legacy /8

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Apr 4 09:40:40 UTC 2010

In article <207E4E4F-B642-424E-8649-810A589DA54B at delong.com>, Owen
DeLong <owen at delong.com> writes
>I believe the IPv4 classful addressing scheme (which some have pointed
>out was the second IPv4 addressing scheme, I wasn't involved early
>enough for the first, so didn't remember it) predates commodore, apple,
>etc.

On a historical note, if Classful Addressing is deemed to date from
rfc792 (1981) [but I'd be grateful for other nominations of a suitable
alternate date] then that post-dates the Commodore PET and Apple II
which were both launched in 1977.

Some sources claim the PET is later, but I remember it because I was
doing a project on "PCs in Schools" in the spring of 1977, using an
8-bit PC that I had built myself on a patchboard. And the PET arrived
just in time for me to be able say to "I'm not completely insane - a
viable PC you could install in a school is now commercially available".
--
Roland Perry