legacy /8

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 18:07:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM, George Bonser <gbonser at seven.com> wrote:
> Any school teaching v4 at this point other than as a legacy protocol
> that they teach on the second year because "they might see it in the
> wild" should be closed down.  All new instruction that this point should
> begin and end with v6 with v4 as an "aside".  But that isn't.

They would be doing the student, their customer, a disservice to not
teach both, with emphasis on V4,  just because one possible speculated
outcome in the years ahead is that IPv4 becomes a legacy protocol.
Schools do not have crystal balls, and they can't know how important
IPv4 or IPv6 will be to those taught later.

I suppose if Google announced tomorrow, that search engine access over
IPv4 is going to be discontinued in  12 months,  and  you will have to
connect using IPv6,  then  IPv4 might become legacy....... They could
have posted that on April 1, with impunity too :)

Enterprises may take a long time to move,   there are so many
participants involved,  it is difficult to fathom them all acting at
once,  at least,  until some major content providers, major search
engines, etc,  announce they will  _stop_  providing  services over
V4.

Industry may be leaning towards IPv6 adoption, and v4 may be abandoned
soon after free pool exhaustion,  but there are other very likely
outcomes  too ---  such as a heck of a lot of V4 devices  and  DS-Lite
 deployments,   where Enterprise networks will want to keep their same
familiar IPv4,  and keep v6 "migration" costs as low as possible.

--
-J