legacy /8

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Sat Apr 3 14:59:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> ipv4 spae is not 'running out.'  the rirs are running out of a free
> resource which they then rent to us.  breaks my little black heart.
>
> even if, and that's an if, ipv6 takes off, ipv4 is gonna be around for a
> loooong while.  when 95% of the world has end-to-end ipv6, do you think
> amazon et alia are gonna blow 5% of their market by decomissioning ipv4?

Absolutely.  It all depends on the cost/benefit ratio.   As an
analogy, there are plenty of
software companies who only distribute their software for Windows.
The potential for
additional revenue just isn't worth the cost to port to other
operating systems.  And sometimes a port is available for a while and
then it goes away.  Did you know that Microsoft once had a port of
Internet Explorer for Solaris?  In a world where 95% of people have
native IPv6 connectivity, the Luddites who only have IPv4 probably
aren't your best customers anyway...

Bill Bogstad