legacy /8

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Apr 3 14:55:21 UTC 2010

In message <p2offcec29f1004030657r97e6b8l426be7d10252d64 at mail.gmail.com>, jim d
eleskie writes:
> James,
>
>  I agree with you concern, and as someone else said the devil is in
> the details, you points are something that would need to be looked at
> if enough people though we should move forward and look at an idea
> like this, which I think we should, but not sure if enough traffic to
> start down that road yet.  If we do though, this is the kind of input
> we'd need.
>
> -jim

This sort of thing was thought of and *rejected* over a decade ago.
You will still have ALL the reachability problems from legacy machines
that you have with IPv4 + IPv6.  Your Windows 95 machine wouldn't be
able to reach most of the Internet as it would be under this model.
You still need to upgrade all the application and other tools.  There
never was a magic wand that could fix this.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org