legacy /8

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Sat Apr 3 00:14:14 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 03:25:22PM -0700, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> Cutler James R wrote:
> >I also just got a fresh box of popcorn.  I will sit by and wait
>
> I honestly am not trying to be a troll. It's just everytime I glance
> over the IANA IPv4 Address Space Registry I feel rather annoyed about
> all those /8s that were assigned back in the day without apparently
> realising we might run out.

	its well to remember that when they got that space, the minimum
	allocation was a /8.  you couldn't get anything smaller because
	"classful" addressing wasn;t invented yet.  Only (much) later could
	you get "B" or "C" space... and after classful died in v4, we had
	CIDR.  IPv6 as effectively reindroduced classful addressing.

> Regards,
> Jeroen

--bill