legacy /8

Andrew Gray 3356 at blargh.com
Fri Apr 2 22:38:26 UTC 2010

Jeroen van Aart writes:

> Cutler James R wrote:
>> I also just got a fresh box of popcorn.  I will sit by and wait
>
> I honestly am not trying to be a troll. It's just everytime I glance over
> the IANA IPv4 Address Space Registry I feel rather annoyed about all those
> /8s that were assigned back in the day without apparently realising we
> might run out.
>
> It was explained to me that many companies with /8s use it for their
> internal network and migrating to 10/8 instead is a major pain.

You know, I've felt the same irritation before, but one thing I am wondering
and perhaps some folks around here have been around long enough to know -
what was the original thinking behind doing those /8s?

I understand that they were A classes and assigned to large companies, etc.
but was it just not believed there would be more than 126(-ish) of these
entities at the time?   Or was it thought we would move on to larger address
space before we did?  Or was it that things were just more free-flowing back
in the day?  Why were A classes even created?  RFC 791 at least doesn't seem
to provide much insight as to the 'whys'.

 - Andrew