legacy /8

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 2 22:13:16 UTC 2010

Sigh... Guess you missed the last several go-arounds of

Running out of IPv4 will create some hardships. That cannot be avoided.

Even if we were to reclaim the supposed unused legacy /8s, we'd still
only extend the date of IPv4 runout by a few months.

The amount of effort required to reclaim those few IPv4 addresses would
vastly exceed the return on that effort. Far better for that effort to be
directed towards the addition of IPv6 capabilities to existing IPv4
deployments so as to minimize the impact of IPv4 exhaustion.

Owen