legacy /8

Cutler James R james.cutler at consultant.com
Fri Apr 2 22:01:18 UTC 2010

I also just got a fresh box of popcorn.  I will sit by and wait for Jeroen to do a business analysis and tell me the return on investment. (Assuming that he can find any legal grounds for demanding return of legacy /8 allocations.)

All of the analysis results I have seen mention figuratively beating oneself [..painfully..] with combat boots.

Running out of IP addresses is not a soon realized scenario for IPv6. If an organization runs out of IP addresses, the difficulty is with top management, not the network or address space.

I think this is a many-iterated discussion, also know by some as a "rathole".

On Apr 2, 2010, at 5:01 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> I am curious. Once we're nearing exhausting all IPv4 space will there ever come a time to ask/demand/force returning all these legacy /8 allocations? I think I understand the difficulty in that, but then running out of IPs is also a difficult issue. :-)
>
> For some reason I sooner see all IPv4 space being exhausted than IPv6 being actually implemented globally.
>
> Greetings,
> Jeroen

James R. Cutler
james.cutler at consultant.com