Raised floor, Solid floor... or carpet?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Apr 2 14:29:10 UTC 2010

On Thursday 01 April 2010 02:36:56 pm telmnstr at 757.org wrote:
> > Its an april fools joke for them.  Dare I say that I have actually seen
> > DCs with carpeting. My jaw dropped but it does exist.

> We had carpeted floor tiles in a data center where I used to work. It was
> bound to the raised floor panels, and I was told it had anti static
> properties. Never noticed a static issue, but the room had proper air
> handlers with humidity control.

We here at PARI have 30,000 square feet of carpeted raised floor.  18,000
square feet of that is two levels of one whole wing of one of the main
buildings, with recessed subfloors so there are no ramps or steps; the
transition from normal to raised is seamless.

A large portion of the other 12,000 square feet is, pardon the usage, 'puke
yellow' in color.  The 18,000 sq feet is a nice gray color.  All have static
draining foil and/or wires woven in the carpet for static control.

Thankfully no zinc whiskers on any of ours.  (I'm posting this on April 2
specifically so that statement won't be misunderstood).

> The puller to lift floor tiles had evil teeth, not suction cups. It could
> bite.

Again, I'm posting this on April 2 specifically so that this won't be taken as
a joke, but, PARI being in the sticks, so to speak, that is, right in the
middle of the Pisgah National Forest, I've often carried a puller with me
outside when going to the pickup at night, along with my flashlight (we're an
observatory; there are no outside lights on at night).  We have seen bobcats,
coyotes, eastern cougars (rare, but around), black bears, and wild hogs; rumor
has it that there are wolves within 50 miles.

I've often thought one of the pullers would be a fantastic close quarters
defensive non-fatal weapon.....but haven't had to use one yet.  I have,
however, had a puller slip and get my knee before....